Mac OSX Installation
OS X 10.4 (Intel) Installation
Below are steps that have worked for at least two people, installing Gerris under Mac OS X 10.4 (Intel).
- Install Fink (http://finkproject.org). You will need the Apple development tools installed - this is a free download from http://developer.apple.com/tools/.
- Install various dependencies that Gerris requires.
sudo fink install pkgconfig glib2 glib2-dev glib2-shlibs gtk+2 gtk+2-dev \ gtkglext1 startup-notification-dev \ startup-notification-shlibs
- Install darcs (needed to obtain the latest version of Gerris, GTS, and GfsView - the packaged versions available on the web do not work). Darcs is not available in Fink either.
- Download the DMG from http://glozer.net/darcs/, and mount it.
- From the DMG, Drag GMP.Framework into /Library/Frameworks.
- From the DMG, put the 'darcs' executable wherever you wish (e.g. /usr/local/bin).
- From a suitable folder, obtain the latest versions of GTS, Gerris, and GfsView.
darcs get http://gfs.sf.net/darcs/gerris/gerris-stable darcs get http://gts.sf.net/darcs/gts-mainline darcs get http://gfs.sourceforge.net/darcs/gfsview/gfsview-mainline
- We will install these in /opt/gerris to keep them isolated from the rest of the system. This requires /opt/gerris/lib/pkgconfig to be added to your PKG_CONFIG_PATH. This directory does not exist yet - it will be created in the next step.
echo "export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/opt/gerris/lib/pkgconfig" >> ~/.profile
- Check your version of automake. Currently (November 8, 2007) this installation procedure works with automake 1.6.3 which is on your system by default. Delete any more recent packages, for instance packages installed by fink. In the future, more recent packages may be needed.
- Add the gerris directory to your path (so gts-config works properly).
echo "export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gerris/bin" >> ~/.profile
- Compile and install GTS, Gerris and GfsView.
cd gts-mainline sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install cd ../gerris-stable sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install cd ../gfsview-mainline sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install
- You're done !
If we want to generate MPEG movies using ppm2mpeg we will need ffmpeg which is not available in Fink stable, so we must install it manually.
- Download the latest SVN snapshot from http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-export-snapshot.tar.bz2
- Unpack and install it.
tar -xvjf ffmpeg-export-snapshot.tar.bz2 cd ffmpeg-export-<insert date here> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install