Mac OSX Installation
|Revision as of 16:27, 17 March 2009
Popinet (Talk | contribs)
(Updated OSX installation instructions)
← Previous diff
|Revision as of 16:37, 17 March 2009
Popinet (Talk | contribs)
(Bug in Mac OSX 10.5)
Next diff →
|Line 85:||Line 85:|
|== Mac OSX 10.5 (Intel) Installation ==||== Mac OSX 10.5 (Intel) Installation ==|
|-||The following were required to obtain a working Gerris/GfsView installation when compiling from snapshot. The basic sequence is as above, without the autogen.sh lines. A working fink installation is assumed.||+|
|-||<ol>||+||The instructions above should work but there is an [http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Packaging:Preparing_for_10.5#OpenGL_Bug OpenGL bug] in Mac OSX 10.5. The following fix needs to be applied when configuring/compiling gfsview:|
|-||<li>(csh etc...) setenv CPPFLAGS -I/sw/include is needed for gsl among others.</li>||+|
|-||<li>(csh etc...) setenv LDFLAGS -L/sw/lib is needed for libprof among others.</li>||+||cd ../gfsview-mainline|
|-||<li>GfsView does not compile properly when gerris is compiled with mpi. Two solutions: either --disable-mpi when making gerris, or before configure step in gfsview, SETENV CC mpicc.</li>||+||LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris|
|-||<li>OSMesa broken in gfsview configure. Adding -L/usr/X11R6/lib to LDFLAGS changes the configure error message but not Mesa being broken</li>||+||make && make install|
|-||<li>See also [http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Packaging:Preparing_for_10.5#OpenGL_Bug this Mac OSX 10.5 bug]||+|
Revision as of 16:37, 17 March 2009
OS X 10.4 (Intel) Installation
Below are steps that have worked for at least three people, installing Gerris under Mac OS X 10.4 (Intel).
- You will need the Apple development tools installed - this is a free download from http://developer.apple.com/tools/.
- Check that you have Apple's X11 and the X11 SDK installed. They are not installed by default on a new machine (at least as far as I could figure out). If X11 is not installed, in OS X 10.4 you need to reinstall your system from the DVD (See here). Reinstalling the system will not remove your user files. (For comparison, on my system, the versions were X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0 .)
- Install Fink (http://finkproject.org).
- Install various dependencies that Gerris requires.
sudo fink install pkgconfig glib2 glib2-dev glib2-shlibs gtk+2 gtk+2-dev \ gtkglext1 startup-notification-dev \ startup-notification-shlibs
Other packages may also be necessary. Look at the error messages during the configuration steps below to see what packages may be missing. Then the best way to resolve the problem may be to install "fink commander". Then search for all the packages that have a name beginning with pango, gtk+, atk1 and install all of them. Trial and error should eventually lead you to a full installation of all the necessary packages.
- Install darcs (needed to obtain the latest version of Gerris, GTS, and GfsView - the packaged versions available on the web do not work). Darcs is not available in Fink either.
- Download the DMG from http://glozer.net/darcs/, and mount it.
- From the DMG, Drag GMP.Framework into /Library/Frameworks.
- From the DMG, put the 'darcs' executable wherever you wish (e.g. /usr/local/bin).
- From a suitable folder, obtain the latest versions of GTS, Gerris, and GfsView.
darcs get http://gfs.sf.net/darcs/gerris/gerris-stable darcs get http://gts.sf.net/darcs/gts-mainline darcs get http://gfs.sourceforge.net/darcs/gfsview/gfsview-mainline
- We will install these in /opt/gerris to keep them isolated from the rest of the system. This requires /opt/gerris/lib/pkgconfig to be added to your PKG_CONFIG_PATH. This directory does not exist yet - it will be created in the next step.
echo "export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/opt/lib/pkgconfig" >> ~/.profile
- Check your version of automake:
% automake --version
Currently (November 8, 2007) this installation procedure works with automake 1.6.3 which is on your system by default. Delete any more recent automake package: check for instance automake packages installed by fink. In the futu<li>We need access to the fink executables:
% export PATH=/sw/bin:$PATH
- Add the gerris directory to your path (so gts-config works properly), also add the fink directory.
echo "export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gerris/bin:/sw/bin" >> ~/.profile
- Compile and install GTS, Gerris and GfsView.
cd gts-mainline sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install cd ../gerris-stable sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install cd ../gfsview-mainline sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install
- Test your installation. Beware of end of line characters.
- You're done !
re, more recent packages may be needed. </li>
If we want to generate MPEG movies using ppm2mpeg we will need ffmpeg which is not available in Fink stable, so we must install it manually.
- Download the latest SVN snapshot from http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-export-snapshot.tar.bz2
- Unpack and install it.
tar -xvjf ffmpeg-export-snapshot.tar.bz2 cd ffmpeg-export-<insert date here> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install
Mac OSX 10.5 (Intel) Installation
The instructions above should work but there is an OpenGL bug in Mac OSX 10.5. The following fix needs to be applied when configuring/compiling gfsview:
cd ../gfsview-mainline LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib sh autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gerris make && make install